1) What author do you own the most books by?
Paul Auster, Margaret Atwood and J.K Rowling
2) What book do you own the most copies of?
I maintain only one copy for each book.
3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
No? Didn’t even notice.
4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
Harry Potter series and The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
I don’t remember. Probably something by Enid Blyton or one of the Nancy Drews.
7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
Not to sound pompous, but I never pick up a book that I know I won’t like. I read extensive reviews before choosing my reading material.
8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
The Trial by Franz Kafka. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga is good too. I even enjoyed The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. The Stranger by Albert Camus and Leviathan by Paul Auster.
9) If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be?
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
Paul Auster, Margaret Atwood or Arundhati Roy? I’m heavily biased. Sorry.
11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
The God of Small Things again. This meme is getting boring.
12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
The Blind Assassin by Atwood. It would be incredibly difficult.
13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I seriously don’t remember. I do remember this dream I had in which I was starring with Imran Khan.
14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?
Ugh..that shit by popular writers like Sidney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Danielle Steel etc. I used to read these when I was in my early teens…not exactly an adult.
15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Disgrace by J.M Coetzee
16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?
I’ve seen only Macbeth enacted on stage- this was when I was in school and I had free passes for a play that had been organized by Rotaract Club.
17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
What kind of a question is this? How is this related to books? I have some Russian friends and they are wonderful people. Never befriended any French person, but I’m sure they are nice too.
18) Roth or Updike?
I don’t really care.
19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Has to be Milton
21) Austen or Eliot?
T.S ELIOT!!! I am in love with “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”
22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Has to be the previous 3 years because I’ve been very caught up with academics and my work life.
23) What is your favorite novel?
Same as #9
Haven’t read too many. Dunno what to pick.
Anything by Pablo Neruda or T.S Eliot.
I’ve read some really good ones by Paul Auster and Salman Rushdie. Difficult to choose one.
27) Short story?
O. Henry stuff.
28) Work of nonfiction?
Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said.
29) Who is your favorite writer?
J.M Coetzee, Arundhati Roy, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, George Orwell, Paul Auster, Naquiz Mehfooz…so many.
30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
31) What is your desert island book?
The Little Prince
32) And… what are you reading right now?
A lot of graphic novels…weird that this meme didn’t ask me for a name. I would highly recommend Blankets by Craig Thompson.
Got this meme from here. Feel free to tag yourself.
Lallopallo tagged me for a movie meme a couple of days back. I started off by writing a blog post, only to realize that I am wasting my time. No, not wasting my time doing the meme, but wasting my time re-listing all movies that I’ve mentioned in the Cinema page of my blog. But thanks to this meme, I’ve made a couple of adjustments: I have removed the categories (Action, Drama, Foreign, Documentaries etc.). Categories restrict the art of movie making. At least that’s what I feel. A movie is so much more than just drama or action. Instead, I’ve re-arranged the movies that I like based on their first names (A, B, C, D…etc).
Lallo, I know you wanted me to add why I liked each movie. I’m sorry I haven’t done that because it’s difficult for me to sum it up in a couple of sentences. I have linked each movie to the IMDB page, which gives ample information (the movie outline, main characters, quotes etc.). In any case, IMDB does a better job that I will ever do. Some of these movies have been previously reviewed on my blog and I’ve inserted the links next to the names of the movies.
I’m not tagging anyone particularly. Anyone who wants to take up this meme is free to do so.
Shefaly had tagged me for this meme a LONG time back! Because of my self imposed hiatus, this response took longer than the expected wait time. Better late than never…
These are the brands that I use on a regular basis. I couldn’t categorize them on an hourly basis, because I keep using some products throughout the day:
1. Colgate – Toothpaste
2. L’Oreal – Shampoo
3. Johnson & Johnson – Body lotion
4. Maybelline – Eyeliner
5. MAC – Mascara
6. Ecotints – Organic lip tint
7. Davidoff – Perfume
8. Nike – Deodorant
9. Compaq – Laptop
10. Google – Needs no explanation
11. Toad – Running SQL Queries
12. Oracle – Database management tool
13. Microsoft – The necessary evil
14. Yahoo – Email, yeah…
15. Tupperware – Storage
16. Rubbermaid – Storage, again
17. T-Mobile – Cell phone service
18. Firefox – I’m powered by Firefox
19. WordPress – I’m using it now
20. Yoplait – Fat free, strawberry flavored Yoghurt
21. Epson – My 3 -in-1 Printer/Scanner/Photocopier
22. Bath & Body Works – Liquid Hand Soap
23. White- Westinghouse – Microwave
24. Sag Harbour – Leather Purse
25. Sony Ericsson – Cell phone
26. Kenneth Cole – Wrist watch
27. Ziploc – Storage!
28. Pringles – Some potato chips
29. Pentel – Cheap ballpoint pen
30. Office Depot – Other office supplies
31. Dell – Workplace computer
32. Nissan – My wheels
I could probably increase this list and include many other things. But these are the brands that cropped up in my mind first. I guess my interest is quite varied. I really don’t know whom to tag. Looks like everyone has already done this. If you haven’t, then feel free to steal it from here.
Errmm…do I need to answer this one? I’m embarrassed to admit that it’s Tashan. But in my defense, I walked out of the theater during the interval.
2. What book are you reading?
Age of Iron by JM Coetzee. Also reading the CFAI Text books- thanks to my exam in the first week of June.
3. Favorite board game?
I like Monopoly, Pictionary and Scrabble. Haven’t played Monopoly and Pictionary since a long long time. Last played Scrabble on New Year’s Eve.
4. Favorite magazine?
Business Week and Fortune Magazine.
5. Favorite smells?
Elizabeth Arden’s Splendor, Davidoff’s Echo and Hugo Boss’s Deep Red.
6. Favorite sounds?
My heart beating. I don’t know how it will feel when I’ll realize that it’s going to leave me. I also like the background noise of the AC fan whirring.
7. Worst feeling in the world?
When you know that things have changed for the worse, even though you don’t want them do.
8. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up?
9. Favorite fast food place?
10. Future child’s name?
Babloo and Pinky! As if! Dumb question.
11. Finish this statement. “If I had lot of money I’d….?
Donate some to some charities, take some long vacations, buy big houses…have lots of dogs…and lie at home all day, reading books and watching movies.
12. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
I want to type something else here, but I’ll refrain myself. Don’t want to be labeled as a pervert. For the record, I don’t sleep with stuffed animals.
13. Storms – cool or scary?
Cool if it’s at night and I’m sleeping. Scary if I’m wide awake.
14. Favorite drink?
Banana shake and Orange Juice.
15. Finish this statement, “If I had the time I would….”?
Actually, I have time for everything I like doing. We’ll live only once…why not spend time doing things you enjoy doing? So I don’t believe in “If I had the time I would…” Make time if you don’t have any time.
16. Do you eat the stems on broccoli?
Oh yes! I love Broccoli.
17. If you could dye your hair any color, what would be your choice?
I wouldn’t dye my hair again. I have abused them enough. Thankfully, they’re still very soft and healthy. I had some brownish and dirty blonde streaks when I was in college.
18. Name all the different cities/towns you’ve lived in?
Quite a boring list actually- Calcutta, Pune, Bombay, Bangalore, Springfield, MO and currently, St. Louis, MO.
19. Favorite sports to watch?
I hardly watch TV.
20. One nice thing about the person who sent this to you?
Nova-She sees pretty things through her eyes!
Suda- He’s a very soft spoken and jovial fellow. Besides, I’m his favorite blogger. So he can’t be bad at all.
21. What’s under your bed?
Nothing! I don’t have a bed now. Still in the process of buying a mattress. I don’t enjoy shopping for such stuff. So I don’t make any time for it.
22. Would you like to be born as yourself again?
Sure…why not? I’m very smart and intelligent. Heh.
23. Morning person, or night owl?
Night owl. But I’ll have to change that in the next couple of days.
24. Over easy, or sunny side up?
Both…depends really. I’m a very serious and cranky type of person.
25. Favorite place to relax?
26. Favorite pie?
I hate pies. But if I were to pick one, then it would have to be banana pie.
28. Of all the people you tagged this to, who’s most likely to respond first?
I don’t know…really. Maybe Ashish? Maybe Dinsan?
Nita had tagged me to do a meme on movies. I love watching movies and this tag gave me an opportunity to talk about them. So here are my top 10 movie quirks!
1. I can’t watch chick flicks and other movies without any ‘real’ content. Some of them would be Little Miss Sunshine (tops my list of Worst Movies of all Times), The Holiday, Legally Blonde etc.
2. I don’t like discussing movies with people who are fans of Bollywood movies, because I honestly feel that Bollywood stuff are really amateurish and people need to see good stuff to realize how bad the Bollywood movies are. Even though I’ve written about Bollywood movies/music albums, I’ve done so because of the hype and as a way of letting others know about my view point. I’m not really interesting in debating the merits/demerits of a typical Bollywood movie. It wears/bores me completely.
3. I seldom watch new movies. Most of the movies that I watch are at the very least a couple of months old. There was a time when I had to watch every new movie that was released. Luckily, after wasting lots of money and time on utterly horrible movies, I’ve changed drastically.
4. Movie watching is a very serious activity for me. I’m almost narcissistic about it and don’t watch movies just because someone recommended them to me. I heavily rely on the reviews left by (like minded) Netflix users to short list movies that I would want to watch. And language is no bar, of course…as long as there are English subtitles.
5. Because of points #3 and #4, most of my movie watching is done on a television set. Most of the movies that I watch/want to watch are not released in theaters in the US (in case they are international), or are too old to be running. But I must confess that I do enjoy watching movies on the big screen. Who doesn’t?
6. I stop munching popcorn during a movie because the noise gets too loud for me and makes it difficult for me to listen to the dialogues.
7. Gael Garcia Bernal is my new found obsession. I like everything about him- his looks, his acting, his…never mind.
8. Funnily, I’ve never been to a film festival. I really want to go to a nice one sometime soon.
9. I only watch movies with people who share similar tastes with me. Nothing is more annoying than watching a movie with a person whose views conflict with mine.
10. That said, I find it difficult to watch movies alone. It’s not like movie watching is picnic for me; still, I prefer having some company.
I can only think of these people to tag- Prestidigitator, Indisch, Canadian Cinephile, lallopallo- because I know that they love watching movies. Anyone else who wants to do this meme is welcome to do so.
I’ve had a really boring day and I feel so tired right now. I wanted to blog about lots of things, but I don’t have the energy. Here’s a meme that I came across. Feel free to tag yourself and re blog it, if you want to.
P.S- I can’t stop admiring the pretty blue star-bullets. They look so lovely. The highlight of my day- I swear!
- First job: At the billing counter as a cashier. Yeah, I didn’t have an assistantship when I’d come here initially. So I worked as a cashier for a couple of weeks to earn my living expenses. It was not that bad. Some guy even told me that I look like Sania Mirza? Don’t know if that was a compliment. But it was quite surprising that he knew about Sania Mirza. Must have been a crazy tennis fan. Oh and there was this other guy who used to come every afternoon and I used to flirt with him openly. It was quite entertaining.
- First screen name: It was a Hotmail address that I still use. So, I’m not giving it out here. Sorry. I’ve become really paranoid about all this since i had that email hack scare a couple of weeks back
- First funeral: My paternal grandmom’s. I was only 10 and it was a horrific experience for me. Ever more so, because I’d been rude to her a couple of weeks back. So I couldn’t stop feeling guilty
- First pet: A parrot- not really mine. Technically, it was my cousin’s.
- First piercing: Ears
- First tattoo: Never had one
- First credit card: Technically, my dad gave me three credit cards. But my first real credit card would be the Citibank one, which I got, after applying for it myself.
- First kiss: Happened a long time back, full filmi style.
- First enemy: Whoa! Is this a real question? First enemy? So how many enemies am I supposed to have now?
- Last car ride: A couple of days back, when I’d gone out for an Italian dinner. Yes, it’s been ages since I stepped out of this house and it really sucks being home all day long.
- Last kiss: A week back. Contact me for more details.
- Last movie watched: Ronin. I’ve been wanting to watch Bad Education since a week now, but am not finding the time.
- Last beverage drank: Water? Before that, I had Diet Coke.
- Last food consumed: Dosa, idli podi and sambhar
- Last phone call: With a recruiter for a job position. I know it’s a boring answer…sorry!
- Last time showered: An hour back. Yay!
- Last CD played: Jodhaa Akbar. Not really CD, but MP3. I don’t know which was the last CD I bought, except for movie CDs. I’ve stopped buying music CDs. I download them from the internet.
- Last website visited: My blog
- Single or taken: Taken. All good girls are taken.
- Gender: Female
- Birthday: 01/16/19XX
- Sign: Capricorn
- Siblings: Yes, a younger sister
- Hair color: Black and straight
- Eye color: Jet black
- Shoe size: US 7
- Height: 5 feet 2 inches. I’m very short, thanks to my mother. Everybody else in my family is so tall. This is totally unfair. I should have had more Complan I feel that Complan really helped my cousins grow tall.
- Wearing: Grey shorts, a light blue t-shirt and some underwear, obviously.
- Drinking: Nothing
- Thinking about: When this meme will end! (Yay! Just scrolled down and saw that this is the second last question).
- Listening to: The AC whirring and my laptop fan just started whirring too. Not the most musical of noises.
Shefaly has tagged me. So, here I am, dutifully obeying her command.
Eight Random Facts About Me
1. My brain is like a GPS Navigator. Usually, all I need to know is the direction of a particular place (as in, North, South, East or West) and I manage to get there even though the city might be completely new to me. Also, I never forget a particular road if I’ve ever traveled through it. Years down the line, I can recall any person’s house in details even though I might have been there only once, for a couple of minutes.
2. I have a very large ear-ring collection. People hardly ever see me repeating them. I aspire to have the world’s largest collection of ear-rings
3. I change between being an introvert and an extrovert depending upon the situation. Professionally, I would label myself as an extrovert. I don’t have a problem talking about stuff that are related to my work. But I try my best to avoid parties and other social gatherings, where I wear my introverted cap very often.
4. As a kid, I was brought up to believe that eating meat is is a bad thing to do. Today, I still don’t eat meat, but that’s because of the fact that eating veggies is a healthier choice and helps me remain fit. I can’t bring myself to put a ‘dead’ thing into my mouth. I get weird looks quite often when I ask a server to replace the meat with beans or something like that. And I totally dislike it when people ask me “You don’t even eat fish?” As if fish grow on trees.
When I was seven or eight years old, my mom gave me Rs. 10 to buy a loaf of bread, that used to cost Rs. 5. I ran to the neighborhood store and bought it…but I also bought a bar of chocolate called “Bar One” for Rs. 5 and ate it on my way back home. It was only 7:15 am. Naturally, my mom asked me to give her the change. I made a sober face and said that the shopkeeper never gave me any change. Mom got really angry thinking that the shopkeeper had cheated me and asked me to go back and get the change. Umm…obviously, I had to tell the truth now. So, I went back to the shop and came back, pretending all the time. When I finally told my mom the truth, she was really amused and asked me, “But where’s the chocolate?”. I said, “Woh toh kha liya! ” (Already ate it). Mom started laughing and told me that it’s okay to buy a chocolate, but never to lie again. That might be a reason why I can never bring myself to lie.
5. I like eating everything uncooked- Maggi, Dal, Rice…you name it.
6. I used to be an ardent fan of Shah Rukh Khan as a kid and had three life size posters in my room. But that was because my mom was a bigger fan and she bought them for me.
7. I’m still very confused about my career and I don’t know what I’m good at. My ‘specialty’ keeps changing. As a kid, I was very good with drawing, mathematics and playing synthesizer (something that I’m still good at). Then, I discovered my passion for law and felt that I’m meant to be a lawyer. And now, I’m doing Finance and feel that Investment Banking is my real calling. I don’t know what’ll come next.
The first thing that I do every morning is switch on my laptop…even before brushing my teeth.
Blogged with Flock
I got the idea of doing an evolutionary meme from Nita’s blog. Not really the types to do memes or talk about my personal life on a blog, but I found this one to be quite interesting. The rule is simple: The blog author has to write about his/her blog and how it has changed in the past. So, this post will be quite long and you may want to stop reading now.
After I looked through my archives, it turns out that I started blogging in July 2006. For a week or two, I was at Blogger. I remember spending at least two to three sleepless nights learning HTML in order to do jazzy stuff at my blog. If you are aware, Blogger doesn’t let you password protect your blog. A year back, it didn’t even give you the option of making your blog private. I think they’ve introduced that option now. Anyway, left with little choice, I did some coding and made my blog a private one. I remember adding Harry Potter theme music to it, which is funny, considering the fact that I was the only one who ever read its contents or heard the tune. I wrote very few posts because Blogger was too slow and took too long to get updated, even though mine was a new blog with hardly any content.
I found the whole thing to be a big hassle and started finding another blogging platform that would relieve my HTML-related stress. So, I shifted to WordPress and have never regretted it. The different widgets were a delight in that they gave me more time to focus on my writing instead of writing HTML codes. Some of my earlier posts are quite “personal” in that they provide a rare glimpse of my day-to-day thought process. This post is a perfect example. It talks about everything I’m passionate about, including movies, swimming, eating and HARRY POTTER.
I have been bitten by the Harry Potter bug yet again. I’m reading the Half-Blood Prince for the third time. Cant wait for the last book to come out I feel that the book should be released sometime in 2007(Else Ill absolutely die). The 5th movie based on the book “The Order of Phoenix” will be released in July 2007 also. I read somewhere that JK Rowling wouldn’t want her book release to clash with the movie. I don’t know what this piece of news means. But I do hope that the book is released in the first half of 2007.
This was back in August 2006…almost a year before the release of the final book; still, I was thinking about the seventh book. I guess old habits die hard.
I was enticed into shifting totally to wordpress because of their new “Privacy” feature. So I can choose whatevr Privacy settings I need. I think Blogger really needs to buck up and do something about its privacy settings before more bloggers start leaving its site.
This was when I had started blogging only to keep an account of my daily thought process. I still do that, but on another private blog. Time and Again has been a public blog since September 2006. That is why the URL of this blog is “havetoremember.wordpress.com”. I had started blogging because I just “had to remember” what I’d done 10-15 years back. I cling on to my past. I remember explaining the meaning of my URL earlier too, but this is for the benefit of those who didn’t know about it.
It’s funny that I even have a post on the Growth of Linux Servers in India, dated 9/29/06, because I started learning how to work on ubuntu only recently, after some encouragement from Swen. September was a month marked by all kinds of random posts (Shahid- Kareena romance, Shah Rukh Khan, CFA Level-I, and Mallika Sherawat! ) I think I did this purely to get a steady flow of readers. I have never really been the Bollywood type of person. I wrote posts on topics people wanted to read, even if I found them to be uninteresting. This was the time I made some of my earliest blog friends- Ish, Justin, and the Ph.D guys at the Sparks Team Blog. Ish is a very active blogger who aspires to have probably a million blog hits one day and is currently preparing for his 12th grade exams. He has a very cool style of writing. You’ve got to check him out, if you already haven’t. Justin has almost retired, I think. His friend Adam hangs around WordPress sometimes though. Tismar Khan (a.k.a Parmanu) is one of the Ph.D guys and he blogs about a lot of stuff- mostly rocket science (got his Ph.D in Aeronautics ), history and politics.
sk exists only for his love for Microsoft. I’ve had an amazing number of arguments with him, which have been very entertaining. If you take a look at his posts, there are many instances where he has just fallen short of abusing me. Heh. It was only after communicating with him that I really started even thinking about Microsoft and technology. Before that, I didn’t really give a shit. Since he liked Microsoft, I absolutely HAD to dislike it. Ish has also described me as a Microsoft hater on his blog. Anyway, this is how the technology and Microsoft phase in my blog life started. I also did one of my first and last reviews on a Microsoft product during this period. So, October was marked with a lot of technology stuff- Microsoft, Google, Firefox, Internet Explorer…you name it, you’ve got it! Oh, and don’t forget to read some Microsoft Jokes.
I enjoy reading many other blogs and most of them are in my Blogroll. There are some other blogs that are in my Google Reader or Tag Surfer. If I find myself reading their blogs regularly, then I add them to my Blogroll too, for what it’s worth.
I didn’t really blog much November onwards because I was busy studying for my CFA exam. But whenever there was an update on the Harry Potter front, I made sure that I found time and blogged about it. It wasn’t until my exam got over in June that I resumed blogging again. I was relatively free during Summer and had lots of time on my hand to re-read Harry Potter stuff, catch up on movies, some novels and blog about them.
I’m sure all my regular readers remember my Harry Potter phase…especially during the Book Release. The book had been leaked over the internet and needless to say, even though I had pre-ordered mine on Amazon, I spent about 15 hours reading the whole thing from scanned images on a laptop screen. I blogged about my initial reaction (Beware: The post is filled with profanities. Click at your own risk!) extensively and got LOTS of hits. And when I say lots, I mean 94, 369 hits in a single week. You should check out sk’s post on Halo-3, which is a spoof on my Harry Potter post. I find this imitation to be quite flattering, actually.
August 2007 onwards, there hasn’t really been any spectacular incident on my blog. The same usual stuff…movies, books, technology, maybe a post or two on India. That’s about it
I have never been able to stick to a particular theme in this blog because I’m pretty random and I blog about anything that catches my eye. It’s seldom that I write a post like this one. So, if you are one of the very few who are still reading this post, then I would like to thank you for taking out some time and visiting my blog and perhaps commenting!
Also, if you liked the idea of writing an evolutionary meme, then consider yourself tagged.