There’s something extremely disturbing about this article I came across:
“I was a normal, active kid who used to run and play outdoors in the tropical climate,” he recalls. “When we moved into a small apartment where it was cold, I stayed inside and didn’t get any exercise.
I can associate with this to quite an extent. I never had weight issues while I was in India. I’ve been fighting a losing battle ever since I came to the US, 3.5 years ago. The food here is way too “rich” and has a way of showing up around your waistline. I’ve been shamelessly loading up pounds. There is only one way of going about losing all this flab: Eat responsibly. Count your calories. Remain active.
People say things like “Oh it’s all that chicken!”. Well Hello! I don’t eat meat. Yet I’ve managed to put on weight because of pizza, pasta, ice cream, “salad”, Mexican food, french fries, beer (yes!) and god knows what else.
I usually never ever make New Year Resolutions because I don’t let the calendar dictate my activities. If I want to do something, I do it anyway! If I don’t want to do it, I won’t. The addition of another year is no reason to bring about a change in my way of living. Most of the times, we take up resolutions which are not only un-Godly but also “not doable” if we were to look at our past records. So, why let yourself down a couple of months down the lane?
However, it becomes very important for me to promise myself to make a life style change now:
1. Get off my lazy ass and start cooking everyday.
2. Because of #1, it should be easier to avoid take-outs/retaurant food/extra calories.
3. Stick to #1 and #2 and make use of the gym membership that I’ve been religiously paying for.
4. As a result of 1,2 and 3, lose 2 pounds a month.
5. Not take festivals as a reason to splurge.
6. Eat out only ONCE a week.
7. Remind my co-workers of #6 and not give into any whinings and turning down invitations to visit a restaurant for lunch during office hours. Oh well, this is very difficult. Most of the times, when I say “No!” (believe me, I’ve tried so many times), they’ll say things like “OK, don’t be a kanjoos” or “Eat a salad!” or “Oh come on! Just one day. Skip your dinner.” or “Burn it off in the gym”.
8. Drink not more than 1-2 Bud Light in a pub. No oily side dishes, please.
9. Print this list and stick it up everywhere- on the fridge, near my bedstand and in my office cube.
That’s all. No snarky comments please. 😛