Ever since I wrote that post on Malgudi Days, I have not stopped thinking about Indian Television and the shows/advertisements/jingles that we used to watch in ’80s and early ’90s. If you’re away from India, like me, then it is likely that you miss these shows much more and can’t wait to catch a glimpse of these.
I’ve tried to collect some of them in this post-
1. Ek Titli Anek Titli (Thanks Bong’o'P’ondit)- An old song that talks about the strength of unity.
2. Mile Sur Mera Tumhara- The objective of the video was to instill a sense of pride and promote unity amongst Indians, highlighting the different linguistic communities and societies that live in India. Created in 1988 by Doordarshan. (From Wikipedia)
3. Humara Bajaj Ad- We hardly get to see such genuine, patriotic ads these days!
4. Doodh Doodh Doodh- It’s fresh. It’s pure. It’s co-operative Milk! Not so sure about that anymore. The proportion of water is definitely greater than milk. Lovely ad though.
5. Surf Lalitaji Commercial- Bhaaaisaab! Need I say more?
6. Jungle Book- Chaddi pehen ke Phool Khila Hai Wasn’t he the hottest guy?
7. Mahabharat Opening Credits- Every Sunday morning, every single household in the country had this song blaring from their television sets..I’m dead sure.
P.S- I don’t mean to hurt the feelings of people belonging to other religious sects. It’s just a general recollection.
8. Cadbury India Ad (Kuch Khaas Hai)- Never seen a hotter batsman…seriously.
9. Yeh Joh Zindagi Hai- Beatiful Title Track sung by none other than Kishore Kumar and starring Shafi Inamdar, Swaroop Sampat, Rakesh Bedi and Satish Shah.
10. Orangie Orangie I love you Rasna!
11. Complan Commercial- The young stars in this ad are supposedly Shahid Kapoor and Ayesha Takia.
Famous punch line- I’m a Complan Girl! I’m a Complan Boy!
12. Old Liril Commercial (1975)- I’m surprised that they allowed a bikini clad woman to be aired in an ad in 1975.
13. Surabhi can be viewed at Youtube. (Thanks Ulag- for reminding me)
Some ads I couldn’t find-Does anyone have these video?
1. Bajaj Ad- Jab mein chota bachcha tha, badi shararat karta tha…meri chori pakdi jaati…tab roshan hota Bajaj.
2. Vicco Turmeric Nahi Cosmetic ..Vicco Turmeric Ayurvedic Cream.
3. Boost Ad (Kapil Dev)- Boost is the secret of MY energy…OUR energy!
4. Priya Tendulkar as Rajani. When I tried searching for this, I only found hits relevant to Rajnikanth and Sivaji.
5. Old Nirma Ad
Please feel free to add more to this list. I’ll edit this post accordingly.
Blogged with Flock